Monday, June 20, 2011

New Week, New Style: Trying a new Nail Color

Hi, world!  This week on New Week, New Style, I'd like to focus on our nails.  Most of us have that signature color that we reach for, and while that's great, why don't we shake it up every once and awhile?  Here's a few colors that I love!

Blue Polish
OPI BRIGHTS No Room for the Blues
I love a really great blue polish.  It's so fresh, and so unexpected on your nails.  This shade, called No Room for the Blues by OPI is a great shade of blue, it's not too bright, pastel or dark.  This color would look great with a neutral outfit, but it would also pair well with reds, pinks and yellows!

Green Polish
Piggy Polish Toe Nail Polish, Envy
Green can be a bit tricky to wear. If it's got too much of a yellow tone, you might look like your nails are diseased.  Too pastel, they tend to look chalky.  I like a nice, bright kelly green, like this one.  It's Envy by Piggy Polish, and it's a lot of fun.  With this on your fingers, you'll have everyone green with envy for your manicure!  Try this color with your gold jewelry, the two will really pop off of each other!

Yellow Polish
China Glaze up & Away Collection: Lemon Fizz #871/80941
Yellow is another color that's hard to wear.  Unless you're very young or like a punk rock look, I'd steer clear of the neons.  The best yellows are ones that don't have a brown undertone to them.  This clear yellow is perfect, and the pastel shade makes your nails a bit more demure.  It's Lemon Fizz by China Glaze. A note about yellows: they tend to be a bit transparent, so you may want to put this over a base layer of white.

Purple Polish
OPI Nail Polish Purple With A Purpose
Purple is one of my favorite colors, and I think it's so versatile.  Most people look good in purple, and most shades of purple suit most skin tones.  I don't think you can go wrong with any shade of purple!  For my personal tastes, I like a bright purple, like Purple with a Purpose from OPI. If you like the idea of purple, but don't feel this brave, try a pastel purple, as they'll look very close to a pastel pink.

Red Polish
Essie Nail Polish Really Red 0.5 oz.
Red is a classic color, but many people are afraid of it.  Too many, in my opinion.  I beg you all, if you've never worn a bright red, go try it today!  It's so fun to wear red on your nails, and it's versatile!  This is the one bright color that you truly can wear from the corporate meeting to daycare to drinks with the girls.  There are many shades of red out there, from red-orange to red with blue undertones.  I like a classic red, like Really Red from Essie.


I really love all of these colors, and want you all to try them.  If you're looking for more ideas about nails, there are plenty of blogs and websites out there dedicated to manicures, testing polishes, and trying funky new stamps or techniques on their nails.  One popular one that I follow is Chloe's Nails, you'll find a lot of great information there!

So tell me, do you have a favorite, non-traditional nail color?  And how do you wear it?

No comments:

Post a Comment